6/19/2013

Ice Ice Baby

 As I reach the end of my stay in Seoul, I'm starting to think about what I'll miss once I leave. I'll miss my house, family, friends, and of course, I can never leave food out. And being in Korea during the summer means shaved ice galore!!! I cannot count how many times I've eaten shaved ice this past month. It's called "bingsoo" in Korean, and during this time of year, almost every single cafe you walk into will have shaved ice; yes, that's how common this dessert is. Different flavors include the original "pat"bingsoo (pat refers to the sweet red bean topping that you can see below), mango bingsoo, cookies n cream bingsoo, milk bingsoo, yogurt berry, fruit, green tea, coffee, milk tea, persimmon, and you probably get the point. These flavors are endless. And delicious. I'm not sure when shaved ice became such a huge part of the Korean food culture, but now it is, and I'll definitely miss this refreshing dessert when I head to Boston, where I probably won't be able to stand the heat without something as cooling as this.


1 comment: